Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Descended from the Plantagenets

Last night, my mom was reading my blog and noticed that both her and my father are descended from the Plantagenet royal line of England. She pointed out that they are both descended from women named Joan - one is Joan Plantagenet of Acre (my mother's side) and the other is Joan Plantagenet-Cornwall (my father's side). For more info, please see Royalty Post #1 - The Forkners and Royalty Post #2 - The Lyons.

Looking at their information in my blog posts and looking at a Plantagenet family tree online, I've come to realize that the Joans were basically cousins. This blog post is going to trace each of their lines back to find their common ancestor.

Joan Plantagenet-Cornwall was the daughter of Richard Plantagenet-Cornwall and Joan Fitzalan. Richard's parents were Richard, Prince of England and Sancha / Sanchia, Countess of Provence. Richard, Prince of England was the son of King John of England and Isabella of Angouleme. King John was the son of Henry II “Plantagenet” King of England and Eleanore of Aquitaine. Henry II was the son of Geoffrey V “Le Bon” Plantagenet and Matilda (Maud) Empress of Germany. Henry II and John are technically the House of Angevin, not Plantagenet.

As a side note, I've always had this fascination with Eleanor of Aquitaine. I read a biography about her in school once, many years ago, and she captivated me. It's interesting and amazing to learn that I'm descended from her.

Joan Plantagenet of Acre was the daughter of EDWARD I "Longshanks" PLANTAGENET (King of England) and Leonor of Castilla (Countess Ponthieu).

Edward I Longshanks was the son of Henry III and Eleanor of Provence. He was born June 17, 1239 at Westminster and Ascended to the throne on November 20, 1272 aged 33 years. He was crowned on August 19, 1274 at Westminster Abbey. He married twice, first to Eleanor, Daughter of Ferdinand III of Castile Margaret and secondly to Margaret, Daughter of Philip III of France. He had six sons including Edward II,and twelve daughters. He died on July 7, 1307 at Burgh-by-Sands, Nr Carlisle, Cumbria, aged 68 years, and 19 days and was buried at Westminster Abbey.

Henry III was the son of King John and Isabella of Angouleme. He was born onOctober 1, 1207 at Winchester and ascended to the throne on October 18, 1216 aged 9 years. He was crowned on October 28, 1216 at Westminster Abbey. He married Eleanor of Provence, Daughter of Raymond Berenger and had six sons including Edward I, and three daughters. He died on November 16, 1272 at Westminster, aged 65 years, 1 month, and 16 days and was buried at Westminster Abbey.

So King John of England was the father of Henry III and of Richard. Joan Plantagenet-Cornwall was the great granddaughter of King John through his son Richard and Joan Plantagenet of Acre was his great granddaughter through Henry III. So the Joans were second cousins.

My parents are both descended from King John of England and more importantly to me at least, from Eleanor of Aquitaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment