Thursday, March 17, 2011

Fearless Females March 12 - Working Girl

March 12 — Working girl: Did your mother or grandmother work outside the home? What did she do? Describe her occupation.

I think I’m a bit younger than this blog thinks I am. Lol Yes, my mother worked outside the home, not unusual for someone in my age group. However what is unusual is that she worked and my father stayed home and took care of the house. My mother worked as a nurses aid, then went to nursing school when I started kindergarten. She worked as an LPN most of my childhood.

My grandma Jenny went to college in 1963 for her teaching degree when my mom was around five years old. Grandma started teaching at the beginning of 1966 on her associates degree. She graduated when mom was twelve and then went back for her masters in teaching. She taught up until the early 1990s, when she retired. My grandma Katie also has a college degree and I know she used to substitute teach.

My great grandma Sarah Helen used to work as a seamstress to help the family out. I guess its not really working outside the home though. Before she married, she worked in a shirt factory. And my great grandma Fern used to take in laundry when she was married. After my great grandparents divorced, she went to work as a bookkeeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment